Top Ten Myths About Writing Children’s Books
- Children’s books are easy to write.
- If I write a picture book, I have to illustrate it, too (or hire an illustrator).
- Children’s books have to rhyme.
- Since my kids/grandkids/class love my stories, they will make a great book.
- It’s really important to follow trends, and write about things like vampires and dystopias if you write for teens.
- Boys will only read “boy books” and girls will only read “girl books”.
- As soon as I sell my book, I can quit my day job.
- After my book is published, I’ll be sent on a book tour and be a guest on Ellen.
- Picture book characters should be talking animals, not children.
- I’ll never get published unless I have an agent.